Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Heart Was Crushed!

I was just on one of my best childhood friends websites, you know just seeing what was new in her life, (and I probably shouldn't be doing this... I know it's gonna get me in trouble... letigo!) but I read a blog that she posted and I was so heartbroken by it.

So, you know I'm a J.W. and she was raised by Witness parents... As she got older she decided that it wasn't for her. Which is completely fine, people choose their own paths.

Okay. Here's a copy of her blog:

Knock, knock (Who’s there?)

Jehovah.

I just had a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses at my door. Some of you may know that I was raised by parents under the influence of that religion. It was kinda weird to be on the other side of the door. I let them ramble on for a few minutes; they seemed nice enough, but cut her off with "I'm not really interested" when she offered to leave an Awake magazine and come back later to talk about it. Should I have told her about my upbringing and how I never believed any of the stuff that church tried to brainwash me with? Probably not. It wouldn't have made any difference with her. Or maybe they would have put me on their "do not call" list. They actually have one of those. Eh. I'm glad that I'm a grown-up now and I don't have to let an organization make my life decisions for me.

~ Then here were some of the comments:

*Heh. That happened to me once. I didn't answer the door. :) Posted by lydia on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 3:08 PM
* I was tricked, because I was expecting someone else. So when my buzzer sounded, I thought it was my friend. Oh boy, was I wrong... Posted by Naomi on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:12 AM *i just tell them i'm an atheist. if that doesnt work i invite them in for pasta...in my shower. that usually does the trick. Posted by Lettus on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 3:48 AM

Okay, now, I'm trying not to take things personally and when I see us being made fun of by comedians or on TV, I actually find it somewhat humerous... You know, at least we're known for going door to door. Jesus did the same thing and was chastised. So, I'm cool with it, too. But, this was my dearest childhood friend. Now, I could go on an endless ride that would list the many things she's done in her life that I've worried about. Some were down right dangerous. But, she's my friend and I'm NO ONE to judge, I've got my own list, ya know.

But, I feel so slandered by her. It's one thing to say, I'm moving on. It's another to talk about "brainwashing" and what not... And that's still her family! Who have done more than most families would do for someone.

So, of course, I had to leave a message... and I probably should have let it go. It's not my site. She can say whatever she wants. You know, if she was talking about me... I'm not so sure I'd care as much. Well, anyway... this is a copy of the comment that I posted:

Do you really feel you were brainwashed by "that religion" that you couldn't make decisions on your own or that maybe you just had strict parents? Whether you were raised Catholic, Buddist or with no "religion at all" you'd still have something to complain about b/c you hated how your parents "controlled" you. Your dad would always be just that, your dad. It wasn't the "religion" that caused him to be a jerk to you (as you've mentioned to me more than once, twice or thrice). He was just a jerk! You know the funny thing is that we've never hurt anyone and the society really tries to teach us how to be peaceful people. If you have a bad apple, does that mean the whole tree's rotten?

Sometimes when we "grow up" it's nice to let things go. And if you were an athiest, I'd still love you and I would never judge you for your decisions the way I get judged for mine... Truly "happy" people always seem to find time to bother themselves with the lives of others and chastise them for their decisions, even tho they wouldn't want the same in return. Did you ever think that these "Jehovah's Witnesses" may have liked to make other plans for their Saturday afternoon/morning? Maybe spend time with their family or take their kids to the park or "wait on someone else" to come over and visit them? Maybe they'd just like to sleep in one day, but they didn't. Instead they VOLUNTEERED (that means "not getting paid for" what is being done! The only motivation is compassion for others...) their time and resources just to offer an encouraging word to someone (obviously it wasn't you) who may have been really needing it...

You know, I'm sure that my grandmother will never accept "those beliefs" as her own, but she absolutely enjoys it when they come to "visit her" b/c for that day, that may be all the company she gets. She has family members that literally live within walking distance that don't even CALL her, but she knows that when they (JW's) say they'll come, there they are. They don't ask for ANYTHING in return from her, no money, no commitment, half the time she doesn't even take the literature. But, as long as she's still willing to open her door and would like to talk, they'll keep coming back... I'm sorry I've rambled on. You know I love you, Naomi. I'm just a little hurt. And I've had a little too much coffee! But, I feel the need to defend this issue... I know this is just your thoughts. And maybe you never thought I'd see it, or maybe you knew I would and didn't care. That is still your family. I am sooooo glad that you've found the love of your life and true happiness. Why do you still bash us? And didn't you just go to the Kingdom Hall with your family recently? Why? You've never been one to do something you didn't want to. You know, when your parents get Maddie, they always bring her to the hall and she's so popular with all of the kids that she's always being invited to someone's house. Do you think we "brainwash" her? She had a blast at the tea party. She comes to my home and she's "another one of MY kids". I just don't understand... I'm sorry. I truly am. Please forgive me for spewing my guts out on your site. I do love you... Posted by Lady of Ire! on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 2:22 PM

1 comment:

  1. so did she ever say anything else or think twice before saying it again man you said that so well

    ReplyDelete