Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dogs!










This was another "older post" on my family site...
But, THEY'RE JUST SO SWEET!!!....


You know there was a time where I just wanted a moment to myself while I used the restroom, ya know, with having a husband and 2 kids. Now, I would love to be able to walk into a room without having my crotch sniffed! Let me start from the beginning. My kids (and husband) had been talking about wanted to get a pet for awhile. I said that if we removed the carpeting and finished the hardwood underneath and got a couple of air purifiers I would consider. Well, we did... so, I thought we'd just get a cat. I like cats, you know. They come over to snuggle and then, when they're done with you, they go away and sleep all day. All you have to worry about is the litter (so, my naive mind thought) and I clean that thing 2x a day. Well, my friend had called me one day and said that the stray cat her mother had been feeding had just been hit by a car. Which wouldn't faze me so much, but she had just had a litter of kittens about 4 weeks before this happened and was keeping them under their hot tub. So, immediately I began thinking. I could come and see them and surprise the kids with a new baby kitten. I was doing the humane thing. I'm RESCUING! Not so bad, right? WRONG! The first day I brought her home, everyone loved her and wanted to hold her, she was adorable. But, I figured since she was a stray I needed to bathe her. So, I got on the internet (keep in mind, I've always HAD pets, but my parents did the 'caring' for them, and she was only 4 weeks so I was getting advice on how to bottle feed her and such) and there was a 'care for your kitten' site. It said that a kitten should be blow dried so that they don't get chilled and get sick. So, upstairs we went to wash the cute little furball. As I did the blow drying thing, I could tell she wasn't enjoying herself. However, no harm was being done... until she pierced my thumb with her cute little baby tooth! Okay. I can take a hint. However, ever since that, she has been like the cat from HELL! You know the expression "meaner than cat dirt". I'm thinking that's somehow connected to Lucy. Which, by the way, we named her after "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds", now we call her Luci-fur! So, still just a kitten, we figured in order for her to release some of her aggression we'd get her a buddy. That's how we ended up with Sophie (which is my absolute favorite pet). Well, the first 3 days Sophie (which was an abandoned kitten I found on Craig's List) was with us, I really thought Lucy was going to hack her up and gobble her down. But, after the 3rd day they have been best buds. It was exactly was Lucy needed. Now she's still a witch to us, but her and Sophie are cool. I don't know why, but I still like that little heifer! That was in March-May of 2008. Well, it didn't take very long for the kids to figure out that cats "don't do anything" and I really didn't want a dog. Not just yet. Dogs require so much effort and I just got Talon and Ré BOTH in school. However, I was on Craig's List (D@%* you Craig's List!) and I happened upon these puppies and just mentioned to my husband that if I was to ever get a dog these would be the kind I would get. They were amazingly beautiful. Their mother was full-blooded Treeing Walker Coonhound and I guess their "dad" was a neighbor's (wink wink) Black Lab. There were puppies she had birthed. I was scared that if I didn't at least go and look at these that I may "pass up the only dog that's out there for me". (Stupid girl) So, we went to see them, long story short: adorable, piled high pot bellied puppies came to greet us, picked a beautiful gray one, owner (sad they may not all find a home) handed André a second one and said, "Buy one, get one free"! We were sooooo stupid. They were soooo cute! Who could say no to them? Well, if there was ever a moment I'd like to go back to... So, within a matter of 6 months we went from 12 years of having NO animals to having 4 animals, a chewed/tore-up couch, chewed up leather chair, an enormously large dog kinnel that has nowhere else to go except for my dining room, about 20 squeek toys and 30-40 dollars a month in pet food. Tell me again, why....
OOOHHHH, that's why...

1 comment: