Sunday, June 27, 2010

Aaaand... Another Cake!

Ya know? I thought, "Wow. It's been so long since I've blogged maybe I'll post my latest cake masterpiece." It's kinda disheartening, tho, realizing that the last blog I posted was so long ago... and it was a CAKE! Maybe that's telling me something.

Well, anyways, I was beseached by an aquaintance to help her make her daughter's grad party cake. Long story short, she told me she wanted (non-school) colors of pink and yellow and that the idea was all abt welcoming the summer. So, this is what I came up with:

This was my pitiful sketch of the idea I was going for... I thought, hhmmm... I could have a beach bag laying on its side and its contents spilling out. Course, then I got to thinking more (eeeehhh) and thought how cool it would be to make the sand and water and props and a beach ball (in case the bag wasn't enough~ yeah right. Only 1/2 of the beach bag cake ended up being eaten in all!).

This is what I ended up with:

And I love it!

The beach ball was layered cake that I had carved into a dome. I didn't have a pan for this, tho, I've heard you can buy them. The 'water' was made from a recipe I found for glass sugar kids use to bash over their buddy's heads. Sounds good! It's from sugar, water, corn syrup, and cream of tartar.

Then, I wanted a beach towel coming out of the bag, too. My kids were like, "What is THAT?" Oh well... Those at the party seemed to know!

I made all of the fondant to cover the cakes and make the props myself! It's similar to a great, edible playdough. I made the flip flops and added purple twislers for the straps. The ipod, spf lotion and daisies are all edible, too. Everything was! The sand was brown sugar.

A girl's gotta have her lip stick at the beach!

Her sunglasses were supposed to be hanging over the side of her bag, but I thought this made it look like it was part of the bag... Oh, well. I'm not very good with the technical stuff yet.

However, I did add "seamwork" to the bag to make it look sewn.

And that's that.... Tho...

I had a very highly dissappointed boy on my hands for about 5 days! Poor guy! Don't worry, tho, everyone got the leftovers!

2 comments:

  1. I always knew you could do it! You have officially turned "Professional." Charge folks accordingly!!! You work is worth every penny and then some!!!

    ReplyDelete